Describe Books Toward A Wayside Tavern
| Original Title: | A Wayside Tavern |
| ISBN: | 0449201406 (ISBN13: 9780449201404) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Norah Lofts
Mass Market Paperback | Pages: 368 pages Rating: 4.19 | 270 Users | 43 Reviews
Interpretation As Books A Wayside Tavern
A Wayside Tavern tells, in a series of dramatic incidents, the story of a Suffolk drinking place from the end of the Roman occupation of Britain, until the present day. The Roman veteran, crippled and left behind, worshipped Mithras, so the place became known as the One Bull and down through the centuries it accommodated itself to changing times and became a clearing house for contraband, a miniature Hell Fire Club, a fashionable hotel, a mere pub.
List Containing Books A Wayside Tavern
| Title | : | A Wayside Tavern |
| Author | : | Norah Lofts |
| Book Format | : | Mass Market Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 368 pages |
| Published | : | July 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published 1980) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Romance. Historical Romance |
Rating Containing Books A Wayside Tavern
Ratings: 4.19 From 270 Users | 43 ReviewsPiece Containing Books A Wayside Tavern
This book is one of the very last that Lofts wrote. And it is long in page count for her "house" books. But it starts in the 4th century with the Roman's camp in Mala, Britain- so there is much of dozens of generations to tell. And Paulus, the first character in this book, IMHO, is one of the best characterizations that Lofts ever did. Down to his donning his helmet and cape at his final reveal.It's filled with memorable characters from the most ambitious to the least changeable and for everyI am sure if this kind of book is your cup of tea it would rate highly. It is just not the kind of book I personally enjoy. I don't mind multi-generational books but I have discovered that my patience wears thin when the story starts before the time of Christ and goes through to modern times. Modern times in this instance is the late 1970's, maybe the 80's but by then I was not paying much attention. I thought I was never going to get through this book! It was basically the history of one
Much like Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum, this novel spans many centuries and enlivens it through the voices of the people who lived in those times. Whereas Rutherfurd follows many families in a community, Norah Lofts chooses to concentrate on one home and the enormous changes that come to it during history. The one family that own's the One Bull has its ups and downs and Lofts shows how resiliant or failing a human spirit can be in her portrayal of the generations of the family's characters. I

I loved this book. It tells the story of a tavern in Britain from around 350 AD to 1975 and the lives of the family who own it. Wonderful book for lovers of historical fiction.
Despite a salacious cover in the thumbnail of some editions (the edition I read was a bit less mills n boon in the cover art than some others) it was quite a good read. A definite forerunner to Edward Rutherford's historical novels which are about a place or family through the ages. I preferred this as with Rutherford's there was too much unrealistic repetition of events and or family traits, although both are well written otherwise. The author covers the history of a tavern and the Gildersons
I solemnly swear that the copy I read (from the library) did not look like this! Covers like this I personally find cringe-worthy. ;)
Second time I have read it. Entertaining. The story of a family which runs an inn over centuries, from Roman Britain to the present. History is an undercurrent that affects their lives, but is never the main story. Each generation is marked by those before, even though they are not as aware as the reader is of the intertwinings of their lives. Not literature, but well written and engaging.


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.