Declare Books As Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
| Original Title: | Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women |
| ISBN: | 0385475772 (ISBN13: 9780385475778) |
| Edition Language: |
Geraldine Brooks
Paperback | Pages: 255 pages Rating: 4.04 | 12676 Users | 1257 Reviews
Explanation Toward Books Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
With a New AfterwordAs a prizewinning foreign correspondent for The Wall Street Journal, Geraldine Brooks spent six years covering the Middle East through wars, insurrections, and the volcanic upheaval of resurgent fundamentalism. Yet for her, headline events were only the backdrop to a less obvious but more enduring drama: the daily life of Muslim women. Nine Parts of Desire is the story of Brooks' intrepid journey toward an understanding of the women behind the veils, and of the often contradictory political, religious, and cultural forces that shape their lives. Defying our stereotypes about the Muslim world, Brooks' acute analysis of the world's fastest growing religion deftly illustrates how Islam's holiest texts have been misused to justify repression of women, and how male pride and power have warped the original message of a once liberating faith.

Particularize Out Of Books Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
| Title | : | Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women |
| Author | : | Geraldine Brooks |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 255 pages |
| Published | : | December 1st 1995 by Anchor (first published 1994) |
| Categories | : | Nonfiction. Religion. Islam. History. Feminism. Womens. Politics |
Rating Out Of Books Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
Ratings: 4.04 From 12676 Users | 1257 ReviewsCrit Out Of Books Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
I'm currently obsessed with this book. It's coming up in all my conversations. I even made my 102 students listen to a page and a half or so. Fascinating, horrifying, and terribly important stuff for anyone who cares about women and girls, religion, war and peace. I'm reading and re-reading (when I should be reading and writing other stuff!) and hoping I remember it all.I want to give this 3 stars instead because it's dated and often rather condescending, but I am glad I read it and learned a lot.

Aaargh. I just wrote a bloody long review of this book then the ******* goodreads website ate it. Anyway, starting over...." Read, in the name of thy LordWho hath created all things, whoHath created man of congealed blood.Read, by thy most beneficent Lord,Who taught us the use of the pen,who teaches man that which he knoweth not."The Koran: The Chapter of Congealed BloodI have been living, working and travelling in the Middle East since I was nineteen years old. That's over eleven years now. In
An interesting look inside various groups of Islamic women, contrasted with what the Koran says, what the cultures practicing Islam have ended up doing, and other surprises. Good for a general overview, and good for breaking stereotypes. Has a good glossary and excellent bibliography at the end.
Islam means submission. This is just one of the facts that I learned from this book. It became not just a fact but an insight as I continued reading it.The book's excellence is demonstrated in that 13 years after its publication it is still being read. Since its publication there have been many books on this topic, including social studies and personal narratives, but this one still stands out.Brooks spent 6 years in traveling to Middle Eastern Islamic countries covering the plight of women.
A very detailed examnation of first hand experiences with Islamic women in the Middle East. I hadn't read anything by Brooks before, though two of her novels are in my TBR pile, and picked this up at Borders going out of business sale because it looked interesting.Brooks is one brave mama, I must say.The presentation is rather interesting and it is somewhat surprsing, at least to the reader, that even women who are fundamentalist or anti-American (or Anti-Jewish even) are presented in such a


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.