Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year 
Heroine to thousands of parents and educators, Esmé now shares more of her ingenious and yet down-to-earth approaches to the classroom in a supplementary guide to help new teachers hit the ground running. As relevant and iconoclastic as when it was first published, Educating Esmé is a classic, as is Madame Esmé herself.
After reading this book I discovered two things. One my first year of teaching will be fine and the kids probably won't stab me in the back with a pencil, and the second is I have got to become way more assertive! Madame Esme is a very strong woman who stood up for what she knew was right even if it meant standing up to administration. Could I do that? I'm not sure. A wonderful little book with a lot of punch. Here were some of my favorite moments.... I just put the kids in their lines and gave
I find this diary of a first year 24 year old teacher a bit irritating.Not only is Ms. Esme ( there I called you Ms.!!!)unlikable and unrelatable , her diary actually is quit a boring read and it shouldn't be considering the backdrop. Esme teaches 31 inner city 5th graders in Chicago who are improverished and have many social, emotional pyschological and learning issues and disabilities, ranging from homelessness to abuse to neglect and lets not forget Esme IS a first year teacher. Considering

UPDATE: The first time I read this, I was still in school. I hadn't taught in a classroom yet and I basically just believed that I wanted to be a teacher one day. Now, I am finishing my first full year of teaching 2nd grade in an inner city school. It has been equally brutal and rewarding... but more brutal. I related to this book a lot more than I thought I would because Esme is white and teaching black children and I am a black woman teaching black children... and the disrespect is the same.
April, 2012 This novel was a required reading for my Intro. to Teaching course last semester and critiquing it against what we were learning and seeing in classrooms made me realize how difficult Esme made her life and career. I understand being out of the box and having to face challenges with students in tough districts, but Esme sought out fights. She always had to be right. She had issues with authority. And even though a lot of her ideas were indeed creative, at what cost did those around
Madame Esme's first year teaching diary was an interesting read. I found myself relating to Esme on many levels, remembering experiences that I have had in the classroom. I like the brutal honesty that Esme used to describe the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of teaching fifth grade in an inner-city Chicago school. Esme had such confidence (bordering on being cocky or pompous although rightfully so in the instances she describes), than I remember having that first year - but she met every
This book really annoyed me. It is, as it says, the "Diary of a Teacher's First Year", and it sounds like in her first year, Madame Esme (as she insists on being called, a source of endless and essentially pointless conflict with her principal), is a really fabulous teacher. She dreams up and flawlessly executes all kinds of spectacularly innovative and effective lessons. Her students love and respect her. She gets grants. She wins awards. She improves test scores.And that's where this book just
Esmé Raji Codell
Paperback | Pages: 206 pages Rating: 3.92 | 5867 Users | 644 Reviews

Be Specific About Books Conducive To Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year
| Original Title: | Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year |
| ISBN: | 1565122798 (ISBN13: 9781565122796) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | ALA Alex Award (2000) |
Representaion During Books Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year
A must-read for parents, new teachers, and classroom veterans, Educating Esmé is the exuberant diary of Esmé Raji Codell’s first year teaching in a Chicago public school. Fresh-mouthed and free-spirited, the irrepressible Madame Esmé—as she prefers to be called—does the cha-cha during multiplication tables, roller-skates down the hallways, and puts on rousing performances with at-risk students in the library. Her diary opens a window into a real-life classroom from a teacher’s perspective. While battling bureaucrats, gang members, abusive parents, and her own insecurities, this gifted young woman reveals what it takes to be an exceptional teacher.Heroine to thousands of parents and educators, Esmé now shares more of her ingenious and yet down-to-earth approaches to the classroom in a supplementary guide to help new teachers hit the ground running. As relevant and iconoclastic as when it was first published, Educating Esmé is a classic, as is Madame Esmé herself.
Identify Containing Books Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year
| Title | : | Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year |
| Author | : | Esmé Raji Codell |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 206 pages |
| Published | : | June 1st 2001 by Algonquin Books (first published April 1st 1999) |
| Categories | : | Education. Nonfiction. Teaching. Autobiography. Memoir. Adult. Biography |
Rating Containing Books Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year
Ratings: 3.92 From 5867 Users | 644 ReviewsAssessment Containing Books Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year
This book really annoyed me. It is, as it says, the "Diary of a Teacher's First Year", and it sounds like in her first year, Madame Esme (as she insists on being called, a source of endless and essentially pointless conflict with her principal), is a really fabulous teacher. She dreams up and flawlessly executes all kinds of spectacularly innovative and effective lessons. Her students love and respect her. She gets grants. She wins awards. She improves test scores.And that's where this book justAfter reading this book I discovered two things. One my first year of teaching will be fine and the kids probably won't stab me in the back with a pencil, and the second is I have got to become way more assertive! Madame Esme is a very strong woman who stood up for what she knew was right even if it meant standing up to administration. Could I do that? I'm not sure. A wonderful little book with a lot of punch. Here were some of my favorite moments.... I just put the kids in their lines and gave
I find this diary of a first year 24 year old teacher a bit irritating.Not only is Ms. Esme ( there I called you Ms.!!!)unlikable and unrelatable , her diary actually is quit a boring read and it shouldn't be considering the backdrop. Esme teaches 31 inner city 5th graders in Chicago who are improverished and have many social, emotional pyschological and learning issues and disabilities, ranging from homelessness to abuse to neglect and lets not forget Esme IS a first year teacher. Considering

UPDATE: The first time I read this, I was still in school. I hadn't taught in a classroom yet and I basically just believed that I wanted to be a teacher one day. Now, I am finishing my first full year of teaching 2nd grade in an inner city school. It has been equally brutal and rewarding... but more brutal. I related to this book a lot more than I thought I would because Esme is white and teaching black children and I am a black woman teaching black children... and the disrespect is the same.
April, 2012 This novel was a required reading for my Intro. to Teaching course last semester and critiquing it against what we were learning and seeing in classrooms made me realize how difficult Esme made her life and career. I understand being out of the box and having to face challenges with students in tough districts, but Esme sought out fights. She always had to be right. She had issues with authority. And even though a lot of her ideas were indeed creative, at what cost did those around
Madame Esme's first year teaching diary was an interesting read. I found myself relating to Esme on many levels, remembering experiences that I have had in the classroom. I like the brutal honesty that Esme used to describe the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of teaching fifth grade in an inner-city Chicago school. Esme had such confidence (bordering on being cocky or pompous although rightfully so in the instances she describes), than I remember having that first year - but she met every
This book really annoyed me. It is, as it says, the "Diary of a Teacher's First Year", and it sounds like in her first year, Madame Esme (as she insists on being called, a source of endless and essentially pointless conflict with her principal), is a really fabulous teacher. She dreams up and flawlessly executes all kinds of spectacularly innovative and effective lessons. Her students love and respect her. She gets grants. She wins awards. She improves test scores.And that's where this book just


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.