Friday, July 3, 2020

Reading The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine Books For Free

Specify Regarding Books The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine

Title:The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
Author:Robert Bly
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 264 pages
Published:October 15th 1999 by Owl Books (first published 1998)
Categories:Psychology. Nonfiction
Reading The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine  Books For Free
The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine Paperback | Pages: 264 pages
Rating: 4.13 | 188 Users | 19 Reviews

Representaion Toward Books The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine


From Robert Bly, author of the groundbreaking bestseller Iron John, and famed Jungian analyst Marion Woodman comes an interpretation of a primordial folktale that takes the message behind Iron John to its next phase: the reunion of masculine and feminine. Bly and Woodman interpret the archetypal symbols embedded in an ancient Russian story, The Maiden King, a tale woven of an absent father, a possessive stepmother, a false tutor, and a young man over-whelmed by a beautiful maiden. When the young man's weak response to the maiden ss her retreating in anger, he must go on a quest for self-discovery that leads to Baba Yaga, the fierce yet empowering old woman of Russian folk tradition. The male tency toward impotence in the face of feminine magnificence, the female fear of power and abandonment that leads to rage, the need to get beyond oppositional thinking en route to the Divine, these are issues the book addresses with wisdom and lyricism. The true heir to Iron John, The Maiden King may be the intellectual answer to Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus.


Define Books As The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine

Original Title: The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
ISBN: 0805057781 (ISBN13: 9780805057782)
Edition Language: English

Rating Regarding Books The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
Ratings: 4.13 From 188 Users | 19 Reviews

Column Regarding Books The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
This book is actually based on a workshop conducted jointly by eminent authors Robert Bly and Marion Woodman, and their humanity and expressiveness come across even more effectively in the filmed version (which I have seen but unfortunately no longer have) of the workshop. Bly and Woodman are famous for their interests in the men's and women's movements in psychology, and this workshop focuses on possible interpretations, from each point of view and from a Jungian background, of the folk tale

Interessante discussie tussen twee (archetypische) psychologen over wat nu 'vrouwelijk' of 'mannelijk' is. En dat de held van zijn 'mannelijkheid' moet worden gered. Voor mij interessant vanwege Heldinne's Reis.

I dont think this book is particularly accessible without a strong grasp of the premises of jungian psychology and archetypes. It is also firmly rooted in the cultural context of the late 1990s (it feels like a quarter of the book is spent discussing the death of Princess Diana). I was also disappointed with its fundamental commitment to a strict gender binary, even as it purported to not be. Despite this, there were moments that I found very compelling.



Actually, I wish I could split my review in half in the same manner that the book is split in half by the two authors. I would give Bly two stars and Woodman five. Her interpretations of the masculine and feminine energies that we all possess (as explained through the dissemination of a Russian folktale) are fascinating. And her marvelously poetic Jungian language is mesmerizing.

I really enjoyed this book. Interesting reading the interpretation of the Russian folk tale from two perspectives. Of course, I enjoyed the woman's perspective more!

I like the first haft of the book. The second half, not so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.