Saturday, July 4, 2020

Books Free Download The Fifties Online

Itemize Containing Books The Fifties

Title:The Fifties
Author:David Halberstam
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 800 pages
Published:June 1st 1993 by Villard/Random House (NY) (first published 1993)
Categories:History. Nonfiction. North American Hi.... American History. Politics
Books Free Download The Fifties  Online
The Fifties Hardcover | Pages: 800 pages
Rating: 4.24 | 5121 Users | 443 Reviews

Explanation Conducive To Books The Fifties

The Fifties is a sweeping social, political, economic, and cultural history of the ten years that Halberstam regards as seminal in determining what our nation is today. Halberstam offers portraits of not only the titans of the age: Eisenhower Dulles, Oppenheimer, MacArthur, Hoover, and Nixon, but also of Harley Earl, who put fins on cars; Dick and Mac McDonald and Ray Kroc, who mass-produced the American hamburger; Kemmons Wilson, who placed his Holiday Inns along the nation's roadsides; U-2 pilot Gary Francis Powers; Grace Metalious, who wrote Peyton Place; and " Goody" Pincus, who led the team that invented the Pill.
A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER "From the Trade Paperback edition."

Present Books As The Fifties

Original Title: The Fifties
ISBN: 0679415599 (ISBN13: 9780679415596)
Edition Language: English URL http://www.booknotes.org/Transcript/?ProgramID=1157


Rating Containing Books The Fifties
Ratings: 4.24 From 5121 Users | 443 Reviews

Article Containing Books The Fifties
Everything I've ever read by David Halberstam has been rewarding and everything, except his early and probably most important book, The Best and the Brightest, has been a sheer pleasure. The Best and the Brightest reads most like an academic history. His other history books are more popular in their style, flowing like collections of short stories on a single theme.The Fifties interested me because that was Dad's decade. He was in his thirties, done with school, back from Europe with a

at some point deep within the book, the author questions as to why the decade of the 50s is now viewed as so noble and innocent to which he concludes (paraphrasing): "it's not that it actually WAS better or more noble, rather, all references to the 50s are always about its noble and innocent aspects" ... so too I came to find this book, for while it's cover (the up-close shot of a 50s auto tailfin) promised a look at the cultural and societal icons of the decade, it takes a much deeper look ...

I just love this book. I've read it before but I have it on my nightstand now, probably as a result of the confluence between "Mad Men" being back on AMC (oh my goodness, WHAT is going on with Betty?!) and my parents' ongoing Great PreDeath Cleanout of Books. It's a great book for just dipping into and reading; you can easily skip around, and/or just read the chapters that intrigue you. I have to say I find the book rather slapdash in that sense--the chapters usually are stand-alone essays

Halberstam writes like a fuddy-duddy who has no respect for Elvis Presley, or James Dean, or for anything connected with the glory days of early rock and roll. On the other hand, there's some fascinating information about the early space program, in America and the USSR, the birth of the Civil Rights movement, and even the quiz show scandals on television. But not many men can totally hate on Douglas Macarthur AND Elvis Presley!What drove me to distraction as I read this book was trying to



Halberstam is an excellent writer. The structure of this book, exploring different elements of the 1950s, allows a retrospective glimpse, through military, political, economic, entertainment and cultural developments, of major historic influences of the Fifties.It is extremely readable, and sheds light, as history so often does, on current times. I found it extremely enlightening.

David Halberstam was a giant in my opinion and I have loved every book he ever wrote, including the ones about baseball!!! This window on the era of bomb shelters and President Eisenhower is just stunning. If you remember the 1950s, as I do, it is like time travel.....if you don't remember the 1950s, you will after reading this book. The book has a style that I would call comfortable.........Halberstam was a true storyteller as well as a great historian of the American experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.