List Regarding Books Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
| Title | : | Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil |
| Author | : | Nancy Scheper-Hughes |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 632 pages |
| Published | : | November 9th 1993 by University of California Press (first published May 13th 1992) |
| Categories | : | Anthropology. Nonfiction. Ethnography. Cultural. Brazil. History. Sociology. Social Science |
Nancy Scheper-Hughes
Paperback | Pages: 632 pages Rating: 4.18 | 976 Users | 44 Reviews
Explanation In Pursuance Of Books Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
When lives are dominated by hunger, what becomes of love? When assaulted by daily acts of violence and untimely death, what happens to trust? Set in the lands of Northeast Brazil, this is an account of the everyday experience of scarcity, sickness and death that centres on the lives of the women and children of a hillside "favela". Bringing her readers to the impoverished slopes above the modern plantation town of Bom Jesus de Mata, where she has worked on and off for 25 years, Nancy Scheper-Hughes follows three generations of shantytown women as they struggle to survive through hard work, cunning and triage. It is a story of class relations told at the most basic level of bodies, emotions, desires and needs. Most disturbing – and controversial – is her finding that mother love, as conventionally understood, is something of a bourgeois myth, a luxury for those who can reasonably expect, as these women cannot, that their infants will live.
Particularize Books As Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
| Original Title: | Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil |
| ISBN: | 0520075374 (ISBN13: 9780520075375) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | National Book Critics Circle Award Nominee for General Nonfiction (1992), J.I. Staley Prize (School for Advanced Research) (2000) |
Rating Regarding Books Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
Ratings: 4.18 From 976 Users | 44 ReviewsNotice Regarding Books Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
This book was illuminating and heartbreaking. It is, however, a very thick book lol. I think it balanced theory and anecdotes and statistics well, but as you can see it took me quite some time to get through it.Author, an Professor of Medical Anthropology at UC Berkeley, lived 30 years locally before writing this book.To do: search for an edition of New Internationalist ~1994 on this subj / then i wont have to read 600pp!!
The author is the one who uncovered the organ trading corruption scheme that just brought down the Mayor of Hoboken and other cats in New Jersey.

Besides the description of the violence in Brazil she gives very interesting insights of the strategical functions of this violence to establish control and sustain inequalities. Her theory has applications in other contexts of marginalisation such as the police management of drug issues and reinforment of penal systems in the european liberal democracies.
This may be the first ethnography I've read; what a great effort it is. I imagine dozens of dimensions constituting cultural mores and I further imagine tens, or perhaps hundreds, of thousands of cultures that either currently exist or have existed through history. Yet I evaluate the world through the lens of only one, the culture I live in now. Ms. Scheper-Hughes does a wonderful job bringing us inside the culture of poverty in northeast Brazil, in the process revealing the raw biases afoot in
I liked this book a lot, it gave a very close insiders-perspective into this Brazilian village. Scheper-Hughes has spent years and years (almost 30 I think) with these villagers and represents their culture very well, although I definitely thought that she crossed a line at some point and got way to close to these people....closer than any anthropologist should get I think. I'd almost call it interference. Nonetheless it was very interesting.
This was an amazing read. It was a requirement for one of my college classes and was painfully difficult to get through because of the extreme poverty that the author helplessly witnessed. It's one of the few books that I have read which inspired me to do additional research.For all of the happy-ending-story-loving people out there -- be warned! This is a very depressing read, but I would argue that feeling something from a book is better than nothing.


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.