Describe Books Concering The Universe Versus Alex Woods
| Original Title: | The Universe Versus Alex Woods |
| ISBN: | 0316246573 (ISBN13: 9780316246576) |
| Edition Language: | English URL http://www.alexwoodsbook.co.uk/ |
| Literary Awards: | ALA Alex Award (2014), Desmond Elliott Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2013) |
Gavin Extence
Hardcover | Pages: 407 pages Rating: 4.09 | 20514 Users | 2393 Reviews
Chronicle To Books The Universe Versus Alex Woods
A rare meteorite struck Alex Woods when he was ten years old, leaving scars and marking him for an extraordinary future. The son of a fortune teller, bookish, and an easy target for bullies, Alex hasn't had the easiest childhood.But when he meets curmudgeonly widower Mr. Peterson, he finds an unlikely friend. Someone who teaches him that you only get one shot at life. That you have to make it count.
So when, aged seventeen, Alex is stopped at customs with 113 grams of marijuana, an urn full of ashes on the front seat, and an entire nation in uproar, he's fairly sure he's done the right thing ...
Introducing a bright young voice destined to charm the world, The Universe Versus Alex Woods is a celebration of curious incidents, astronomy and astrology, the works of Kurt Vonnegut and the unexpected connections that form our world.

List Based On Books The Universe Versus Alex Woods
| Title | : | The Universe Versus Alex Woods |
| Author | : | Gavin Extence |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 407 pages |
| Published | : | June 25th 2013 by Redhook (first published 2013) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Young Adult. Contemporary |
Rating Based On Books The Universe Versus Alex Woods
Ratings: 4.09 From 20514 Users | 2393 ReviewsCriticism Based On Books The Universe Versus Alex Woods
I'd give it 4.5 stars .Things I liked about this book:- I love Alex's character and how well the author portraits him through words. - I love that the story is in first person. It seems to go into Alex's mind. We are his audience.- The fact that a 14 years old boy loves books so much that he manages to create a book club really struck a chord with me. I loved how mature he is for his age.- I love that this book talks about euthanasia. It is a very difficult theme to talk about and I liked theWell, here's the thing, if a book has:*An introverted bookworm epileptic who loves learning about math, physics, astronomy, and who openly admits that his hobbies are definitely "gay" (in the high school context)*Unexpected friendships*Classical music*Book discussions*A dog*Questions about Life and Death and the UniverseI am bound to want to pick it up. Especially with that kind of synopsis. It's one of those few synopses that are spot on. I am all about curious incidents and unexpected
A tale of an unexpected friendship, an unlikely hero and an improbable journey...This novel might just strike you as one of the funniest, most heartbreaking novels you've ever read. This is the story of seventeen-year-old Alex Woods - born to a clairvoyant mother and a phantom father, victim of an improbable childhood accident - who is stopped at Dover customs in possession of 113 grams of marijuana and the ashes of his best friend, Vietnam veteran Isaac Peterson. What follows is a highly

So near perfect a read I can't think of any reason not to give it 5 stars. Straight to my favourites list.I thought Alex such a wonderfully engaging, fascinating character. When I started reading the novel I thought it was headed along similar lines to Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, or maybe The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, both of whom have quirky individuals as narrators, but it quickly became its own story, delightful and charming and entirely unique.
I can understand why some people find this book endearing as I believe it falls along the lines of a comfort read for some people. The type of book they read to feel good, with a morality lesson involved. I also find that if something classifies as someone's comfort read that they tend not to mind if they've "read the story before" or any such cliches that may happen in the plot. While I certainly did not dislike this book, it wasn't the above described comfort read for me so I did find the
The tale of Alex Woods, age 17, as told by himself, in a steady, logical, borderline-autistic voice. Struck on the head by a meteorite when he was a child, Alex lives a quietly extraordinary life. An epileptic, obsessed by maths, astronomy and Kurt Vonnegut, Alex is a deeply geeky, lonely boy with few friends but a complex inner life. The story is rich in references - His Dark Materials, A Prayer for Owen Meany, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Catch 22, Schubert - but most of all, Kurt Vonnegut,
It's always great when you read a book that you have been wanting to read for a long time, that you have high expectations for, that has been rated highly by your GR friends, to actually be a 5 star read. It's even greater to read a book that you have no expectations of, hardly heard about before you started reading it, and has no indication of greatness based on your friends ratings because no one has read it, and to find out that that book is worth 5 stars. What a wonderful story. Alex is one


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.