Details Books Concering Alexander: Child of a Dream (Alexandros #1)
| Original Title: | Aléxandros, il figlio del sogno |
| ISBN: | 0743434366 (ISBN13: 9780743434362) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Alexandros #1 |
| Characters: | Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Demosthenes, Hephaestion, Parmenion, Olympias, Philip II of Macedon, Callisthenes, Philotas, Ptolemy I Soter, Craterus, Antipater, Eumenes, Leonnatus, Perdiccas, Lysimachus, Seleucus I Nicator |
Valerio Massimo Manfredi
Paperback | Pages: 368 pages Rating: 4.07 | 6262 Users | 250 Reviews

Itemize Containing Books Alexander: Child of a Dream (Alexandros #1)
| Title | : | Alexander: Child of a Dream (Alexandros #1) |
| Author | : | Valerio Massimo Manfredi |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Žepnice |
| Pages | : | Pages: 368 pages |
| Published | : | October 1st 2001 by Washington Square Press (first published 1998) |
| Categories | : | Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction |
Commentary Toward Books Alexander: Child of a Dream (Alexandros #1)
Before his birth, omens foretold that Alexander, son of the warrior-king Philip of Macedonia, was destined for greatness. From boyhood, the prince was trained by the finest scholars and mightiest soldiers to attain extraordinary strength of body and spirit. A descendant of Heracles and Achilles, Alexander aimed to surpass his ancestors' heroism and honor, and his chosen companions strove to be worthy to share his godlike fate.Even as a youth, Alexander's deeds were unequaled. In a single day, he tamed the fierce steed Bucephalus. In his first battle, his troops defeated the invincible Sacred Band. And as he grew to manhood, surrounded by deadly plots and intrigue, his friends pledged to follow him to the ends of the world. With the support of that loyal group of men, Alexander's might would transform dreams of conquest into reality amid the fabled cities of Persia and the mysterious East...and his destiny would carry them all to glory.
Rating Containing Books Alexander: Child of a Dream (Alexandros #1)
Ratings: 4.07 From 6262 Users | 250 ReviewsEvaluation Containing Books Alexander: Child of a Dream (Alexandros #1)
1.5 stars. It spent way too much time detailing Alexander's relationships with various servant girls and barely mentioning his lifelong relationship with Hephaistion. I also don't think the characterization was good. Alexander had an enormous ego and this huge drive to conquer. I find it hard to believe he'd ever regret razing a city to the ground the way he's shown in this book.Also, just to be pedantic, I don't think anyone in the ancient Greek world would have referred to Odysseus by hisAn excellent first instalment of an historical series about Alexander the Great. It is a bit of a slow burner owing to the fact the Manfredi starts the novel at the time of Alexanders birth. This natural means that there is not a lot of action in the first 2/3 as we are witnesses to his growing up and education. Once he approaches maturity the story kicks off into another gear and we start to see the military and political genius of Alexander that his famous for long after his death. Am
Reading this I wished I could have read it in the original Italian. The translation is good but I felt something of the musicality was lost. Still the story of Alexander's birth and his eventual elevation to King is a thrilling one, even if you think you know all there is to know, Manfredi brings him to life and is an excellent read.

In Italy, Valerio Massimo Manfredi is a well-known and respected historian, writer and tv personality. He's also considered an archaeologist, although in reality he's a specialist in the topography of the ancient world and never studied archaeology in its own right. These days, most of his work involves writing novels and adapting books set in classical antiquity for film and television. The strong point of his books is his detailed topographic knowledge of the ancient world, which usually makes
I've only recently discovered the joy of learning history the easy way - by reading a fictionalised version. This is the first of three books telling the story of the life of Alexander the Great. In this first book, we watch Alexander grow from a boy to a man, educated by Aristotle and Callisthenes, groomed for monarchy by his father, Philip of Macedon, making the friends that would stay with him through adulthood, and finally taking the throne. The language is sometimes flowery but I'm guessing
Estimating the date as I can't remember exactly when I first read it, but I really enjoyed this book. Manfredi has become one of my favourite authors of historical fiction. I like how, in this case, he takes a well-known figure such as Alexander the Great and really brings to life aspects that are probably unfamiliar. The trilogy follows him from birth to death and, in this first book, paints a vivid picture of the places and people Alexander grew up with and how he developed his ambition to


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.